Mount Kilimanjaro Umbwe Route – 8 Days
This route is the hardest but most spectacular and direct way to reach Uhuru Peak, extra days can be added to our itinerary to explore or relax along the route or to camp in the Karanga River valley. Accommodation on this route is also in tents, you will need a sleeping bag and mat, the porters will pitch the tents for you.
Day 1: Nairobi – Arusha
Leave Nairobi for Arusha by shuttle bus arriving in time for lunch. Afternoon spent at leisure and shopping for the provisions needed for the Mountain. Dinner and overnight at Moshi hotel.
Day 2: Arusha – Lava Caves
After breakfast transfer to Marangu gate and then to Umbwe Village to start the climb. Climb for four hours through the rainforest to camp at the caves 2800m above the sea level.
Day 3: Lava Caves – Barranco Hut
After breakfast, continue ascent along a sharp ridge, giving a distinct high mountain feeling, then unto the Moorland Camp and arrive by mid afternoon. Stay at Barranco hut 3900m.
Day 4: Barranco Hut – Arrow Glacier
A four hour walk past enormous breachwalls to camp at the foot of the Arrow Glacier A leisurely afternoon and evening, acclimatizing at around 4900m and watching the sunset behind Mt. Meru.
Day 5: Arrow Glacier – Kilimanjaro Crater Rim
Climbing the same steep walls and scrambling up the screen and across the frozen lava on the tottering wall. We camp on the stunning crater rim of Kilimanjaro.
Day 6: Kilimanjaro Crater Rim – Horombo Hut
You trek up the highest point in Africa, Uhuru peak, (5,896m). Descend via Gilman’s point and onto Kibo hut for dinner and overnight (3.761m).
Day 7: Horombo Hut – Arusha
After breakfast, descent to the Marangu Park Gate via Mandara. You will be transferred to Arusha for dinner and overnight.
Day 8: Arusha -Nairobi
After breakfast, leave for Nairobi by morning or afternoon shuttle but where the tour ends.
The above safari includes :
- All meals and excursions as per the itinerary.
- Park entrance fees in the Game Reserves and National Parks.
- All road transportation and Game drives using custom-made Safari minivan complete with pop-up roof for enhanced game viewing and photography.
- Full board accommodation on Safari.
- Experienced English speaking driver-guides.
The above safari excludes :
- All flights.
- Additional sightseeing or deviation from the itinerary.
- All items of a personal nature such as tobacco, laundry, phone calls, tips and drinks/beverages.
- Extra meals.
- Any other items not mentioned above.
- Medical/Travel Insurance.